Friday, November 30, 2007

Yoga

This is a yoga/meditation center that we went to. It is about an hours drive from Praveen's parent's house. The drive, though very bumpy, is nice. I like to ride through the back country of India. It's amazing that so close to civilization people live in such conditions. Actually they live that way even in civilization, but it some how looks a little less painful when there are hills, trees and farms everywhere. I saw some people doing thier laundry in the pond in the city then laying it on the dirt to dry. At least in the country you can lay it on some grass or something. Also I always think that they must be able to sustain themselves a little easier living off the land then digging through garbage bins, but what do I know?

We didn't do yoga. In fact, I have had no exercise in two and half weeks and have been eating three very full, gee filled, meals a day. I have managed to put on about five lbs that I will have to get rid of upon returning. Yoga is different in India, there are no one or two hour "classes" to go to. You can go to a 3 day-1 month training session then you are expected to practice on your own at home. Next time we come I will come out here and go to the three day session and see how it is. I really liked the place. It is quite beautiful and peaceful. Inside that round building below they have this phallic looking big, black lingam. I think it's made of granite. Inside is completely quite and in the wall they have carved out these places for people to sit and meditate. We sat there for about 20 minutes. It was nice.

They also have this area where you can go and swim in water that is imported from the Ganges river. It's quite beautiful. They have made this waterfall thing and have another lingam in the center to swim around.

We leave India tonight. We will arrive in Thailand tomorrow am where we will stay for a day and a half before jumping on our two day journey to return home on Monday night. I am very much looking forward to my bed and returning to work.



1 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Ruth... it's been FOUR months since you posted something new on your blog. Love, mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home