Friday, November 30, 2007

Handmade

It’s pretty amazing how much stuff is done here by hand. When you buy a sari all the threads are hand woven, every bead hand stitched. When you buy a handicraft each god or elephant is hand carved. When a house is built soil is carried out by hand on what looks like a wok on top of the head. The ground is dug with hand trowels and shovels. Each rock is moved and placed by hand. I was watching the cook make chutney and she sat on the floor with this chair with a point on the end and hand ground each coconut. It’s hard for me to take pictures of things like that because I always feel like someone is going to think I am harassing them or something. It’s hard to explain. Here is a few that I did take though.

When I buy an item on the street form China or India for $1 or $2 I will think about it in a different light. For some reason I always pictured that stuff being mass produced somewhere. And I guess it is, just not on a machine.



These ladies are weeding the grass. (Left)


This yoga place we went to was covered in Granite stone, the pilers the floors, the steps, the statutes are all hand carved, with very basic tools. These guys are chipping away and these huge pilers and making them smooth. (Below)

1 Comments:

At 5:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I remember being amazed at how much is done by hand. Specifically, the construction projects...like the guy across the street from Praveen's parent's home who was building a building... and then, there is the "road construction"... not a piece of heavy equipment in site! And the scafolding... made of bamboo. It's a completely different world.

I too thought of all the small things and figured they were mass produced BUT hand made, although we never really saw that. The packaged food items...chips, etc, sort of scared me... also figuring they were hand packaged, and maybe hand processed, but not knowing for sure how clean anything was. For the most part, I just put that out of my head and enjoyed it though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home