Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The journey to a new home

Well we are going on day 21 of being out of our house. The crew, unfortunately hasn't been able to be there the whole time due to another job that has needed attention. In the time they have been there though they have really done a lot. The first week was the most exciting. The feeling that comes over you when you see your house torn down to studs is one of sheer terror mixed with a rush of excitement. It's like nothing I've ever felt before. I had a lot of wacked out nerves and stress but I am feeling much better now.

Here are some before pictures:










Week one- Demo- a wall came down, and a new one was built creating a tv room behind what is now our current kitchen. All the carpet was removed and taken to a local recycling center. We wanted to donate our cabinets but no one from habitat for humanity would return our calls so they were broken down and sent to the dump. The raised floor that created my dining room was removed.

Week two- the ceiling where we had a some really bad damage from a rain storm (only EIGHT months ago) was removed and we found that the one by ones holding the roof up were sagging so those were replaced and reinforced.



Week three- the plumbing is installed and the electrical is in progress. All new recessed cans will be put in. A cove for perimeter lighting will be built. Praveen researched and purchased the speakers which will be in the ceiling throughout the house. I am really excited about that part. I can't wait to listen to fox news in my bathroom in the morning! All the speakers have separate zones so Praveen can sit on the new sofa bed in the new tv room and watch tv while I jam out in the kitchen.

Money is flying out the window like crazy. It's very strange to spend so much money on a daily basis. We've been saving for this for a long time, so it's rewarding and exciting at the same time.

Govi, the poor guy's apartment that we have taken over, has been very chill. I'm sure he can't wait for us to leave but you'd never know it. He leaves next week for Europe for three weeks and hopefully when he gets back we will be ready to move back home.

If all goes well this will be our schedule:
This week- finish Electrical, lighting- start drywall
Next week- Dry wall
Week of 22nd- Put down cork flooring
Week of 29th Finish floors install cabinets- start finish work- template counter tops (7-10 days to fabricate)
Install tile back splash- install under cabinet lighting
Oct 6th- Finish cabinets- paint/ finish work-
13th Counters installed- finish work
Week of 22nd and 29th- finish work
First week of November move home.

I'd say one of the hard parts about your house being under construction is not knowing where anything is. We packed and moved two car loads of stuff to govi's and since then probably three more worth of forgotten stuff. I had forgotten that September is pretty hot around these parts and I packed the SF usual, cashmere sweaters, jeans ect. Finally Sunday i broke down and broke into my closet which the contractor had nicely taped up so nothing would get dusty. I grabbed a bunch of summer stuff and guess what now its cold again.

I went back to the house the other day to get my bike, my biking shoes, all my gear, but when i got home i realized i had forgotten my padded shorts.

When i went to NYC i was missing my travel pillow, my backpack, my sleeping pills and host of other things....anyway, life goes on, but it does make it interesting. I want to post more pictures for you but last week i couldn't find the batteries to Praveen's camera so i started using my camera but now i can't find the USB cable to down load the pictures! It's fun!

This weekend we're going to Yosemite and it looks like i might need new hiking shoes or something as i can' find those either! The funny thing is when i pack, i remember where everything is, but Praveen actually did much of the packing while i helped a friend with a wedding party. If I packed it I generally know exactly the box it's in but now it's all fair game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home